Agritrop
Home

Development of semi dry sausages (cabanossi) with warthog (Phacochoerus africanus) meat: Physicochemical and sensory attributes

Mahachi Leo N., Rudman Monlee, Arnaud Elodie, Muchenje Voster, Hoffman Louwrens C. 2019. Development of semi dry sausages (cabanossi) with warthog (Phacochoerus africanus) meat: Physicochemical and sensory attributes. LWT - Food Science and Technology, 115:108454, 7 p.

Journal article ; Article de recherche ; Article de revue à facteur d'impact
[img] Version Online first - Anglais
Access restricted to CIRAD agents
Use under authorization by the author or CIRAD.
Mahachi_2019.pdf

Télécharger (425kB) | Request a copy

Quartile : Q1, Sujet : FOOD SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY

Abstract : The use of warthog meat to produce cabanossi (cured, smoked and semi-dried sausages) with different fat levels (10%, 20% and 30% by weight) were investigated. Weight loss during drying and smoking significantly increased as fat level decreased. Despite this, in the end products, the 10% pork backfat cabanossi had a slightly higher moisture content compared to the 30% treatment due to its higher initial moisture content. However, this did not result in any differences (P > 0.05) in water activity between all treatments. Water activity was sufficiently low (≤0.94) to ensure shelf stability coupled to pH lower than 5.2. The 10% fat warthog cabanossi showed a better nutritional composition in terms of higher protein, lower fat content, higher amounts of n-3 fatty acids, lower n-6:n-3 ratio and lower thrombogenic index among the three treatments while there was no difference in lipid oxidation. The 10% pork backfat treatment was scored higher (P ≤ 0.01) for overall aroma intensity and smoky aroma, followed by the 20% and 30% treatments, respectively and generally scored better for most sensory attributes.

Mots-clés Agrovoc : Viande de gibier, Suidae, Saucisse, Comportement du consommateur, Viande porcine, Acide gras

Mots-clés géographiques Agrovoc : Afrique du Sud

Mots-clés complémentaires : Phacochoerus africanus

Mots-clés libres : Consumer acceptance, Pork backfat, Fatty acids, Game meat, Sausage

Classification Agris : Q02 - Food processing and preservation
Q04 - Food composition

Champ stratégique Cirad : CTS 3 (2019-) - Systèmes alimentaires

Auteurs et affiliations

  • Mahachi Leo N., University of Fort Hare (ZAF)
  • Rudman Monlee, Stellenbosch University (ZAF)
  • Arnaud Elodie, CIRAD-PERSYST-UMR Qualisud (FRA) ORCID: 0000-0002-0896-7916
  • Muchenje Voster, University of Fort Hare (ZAF)
  • Hoffman Louwrens C, Stellenbosch University (ZAF) - auteur correspondant

Source : Cirad-Agritrop (https://agritrop.cirad.fr/594913/)

View Item (staff only) View Item (staff only)

[ Page générée et mise en cache le 2020-10-10 ]