Agritrop
Home

A leguminous species exploiting alpha- and beta-rhizobia for adaptation to ultramafic and volcano-sedimentary soils: an endemic Acacia spirorbis model from New Caledonia

Bryan Vincent, Juillot Farid, Fritsch Emmanuel, Klonowska Agnieszka, Gerbert Noëmie, Acherar Sarah, Grangeteau Cédric, Hannibal Laure, Galiana Antoine, Ducousso Marc, Jourand Philippe. 2019. A leguminous species exploiting alpha- and beta-rhizobia for adaptation to ultramafic and volcano-sedimentary soils: an endemic Acacia spirorbis model from New Caledonia. FEMS Microbiology, Ecology, 95 (8):fiz099, 15 p.

Journal article ; Article de recherche ; Article de revue à facteur d'impact
[img] Published version - Anglais
Access restricted to CIRAD agents
Use under authorization by the author or CIRAD.
Vincent et al 2019 FEMS Microbiology Ecology.pdf

Télécharger (4MB) | Request a copy

Quartile : Q2, Sujet : MICROBIOLOGY

Abstract : Acacia spirorbis subsp. spirorbis Labill. is a widespread tree legume endemic to New Caledonia that grows in ultramafic (UF) and volcano-sedimentary (VS) soils. The aim of this study was to assess the symbiotic promiscuity of A. spirorbis with nodulating and nitrogen-fixing rhizobia in harsh edaphic conditions. Forty bacterial strains were isolated from root nodules and characterized through (i) multilocus sequence analyses, (ii) symbiotic efficiency and (iii) tolerance to metals. Notably, 32.5% of the rhizobia belonged to the Paraburkholderia genus and were only found in UF soils. The remaining 67.5%, isolated from both UF and VS soils, belonged to the Bradyrhizobium genus. Strains of the Paraburkholderia genus showed significantly higher nitrogen-fixing capacities than those of Bradyrhizobium genus. Strains of the two genera isolated from UF soils showed high metal tolerance and the respective genes occurred in 50% of strains. This is the first report of both alpha- and beta-rhizobia strains associated to an Acacia species adapted to UF and VS soils. Our findings suggest that A. spirorbis is an adaptive plant that establishes symbioses with whatever rhizobia is present in the soil, thus enabling the colonization of contrasted ecosystems.

Mots-clés Agrovoc : Bradyrhizobium, Sol volcanique, Adaptation, Zone volcanique, Fixation de l'azote

Mots-clés géographiques Agrovoc : Nouvelle-Calédonie

Mots-clés complémentaires : Acacia spirorbis, Paraburkholderia

Mots-clés libres : Bradyrhizobium, Paraburkholderia, Acacia spirorbis, Nitrogen fixation, Metal tolerance, New Caledonia

Classification Agris : F60 - Plant physiology and biochemistry

Champ stratégique Cirad : CTS 1 (2019-) - Biodiversité

Auteurs et affiliations

  • Bryan Vincent, IRD (FRA) - auteur correspondant
  • Juillot Farid, IRD (NCL)
  • Fritsch Emmanuel, IRD (FRA)
  • Klonowska Agnieszka, IRD (FRA)
  • Gerbert Noëmie, IRD (FRA)
  • Acherar Sarah, IRD (FRA)
  • Grangeteau Cédric, IRD (FRA)
  • Hannibal Laure, IRD (FRA)
  • Galiana Antoine, CIRAD-BIOS-UMR LSTM (MTQ) ORCID: 0000-0002-5293-5049
  • Ducousso Marc, CIRAD-BIOS-UMR LSTM (FRA)
  • Jourand Philippe, IRD (FRA)

Source : Cirad-Agritrop (https://agritrop.cirad.fr/595389/)

View Item (staff only) View Item (staff only)

[ Page générée et mise en cache le 2020-10-20 ]